How To Make An Ultralight Windscreen & Heat Reflector

When I am on a thru hike, I do my best to make every piece of my gear and my habits as efficient and effective as possible. When it comes to cooking, a small 100 gram fuel canister can last me upwards of a month on trail. How is this possible? Quite easily actually, I combine several techniques and pieces of gear that make my stove as efficient as it can be. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be spilling all of my thru-hiker stove efficiency secrets to you so stay tuned… Today, I’ll be showing you how to take the first step towards stove efficiency by making your very own DIY ultralight windscreen and heat reflector! Continue reading “How To Make An Ultralight Windscreen & Heat Reflector”

How To Size & Buy A Backpacking Quilt – Guest Post on Massdrop.com

Once again, I’ve made a guest post over on Massdrop.com. This time I’m focusing on how to properly size and eventually buy a quilt for backpacking. One of the biggest questions I get now (especially after releasing this video on why you should switch to a quilt) is, “What size/type/brand/features should I look for in a quilt?” Well, hopefully this article will help to guide any of you that are struggling with buying a backpacking quilt and what to look for. I’m sure that I’ll eventually make this article into a video, but for now you can find it here on massdrop.com: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1091/how-to-size-buy-a-backpacking-quilt

The Ultimate Ultralight Kitchen – Only 4 oz!

When I’m not on trail, my mind is… I often find it wondering why I’m not out hiking all day every day, coming up with ideas for new pieces of gear and DIY projects, and figuring out ways to improve upon my existing gear. This article/video stems from the latter and is the best system I could come up with for the weight/functionality. I present to you the Ultimate Ultralight Kitchen. Continue reading “The Ultimate Ultralight Kitchen – Only 4 oz!”

Klymit x Massdrop Ultra Light Static V Insulated Sleeping Pad – Gear Review

Recently, the community based gear purchasing site known as Massdrop has been releasing some interesting new products based on feedback from the ultralight and hiking communities. The latest product of these efforts presents a partnership between the website and well known sleeping pad manufacturer Klymit. Historically, Klymit has made some acceptable sleeping pads, but never anything that was outstanding. This new offering, the Ultralight Static V Insulated, is a huge step in the right direction for Klymit, featuring very competitive specs and a superb price point. Check out the video below for all the info and a comparison to my favorite pad, the Thermarest Xlite. Continue reading “Klymit x Massdrop Ultra Light Static V Insulated Sleeping Pad – Gear Review”

Continental Divide Trail – Colorado

This series has been several months in the works now, but alas my final CDT edit is done. Looking through all of my footage from the trail has been both wonderful and horrible. It’s wonderful to go back and relive these memories, but it makes me horribly homesick for the trail.  Take a trip along the lovely Continental Divide Trail with me as  I complete the last state in my thru hike: Colorado.  Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – Colorado”

Continental Divide Trail – Wyoming

Once again, it’s time for an edit from the Continental Divide Trail (CDT). This weeks video will focus on the unfathomably gorgeous state of Wyoming. After pushing my way south through Montana and Idaho (Seen in this post/video), I passed through a final “goodbye hail/snow storm” sent from Montana as a final parting gift for my travels. With snow on the ground and an icy sun rising in the distance I passed over the MT/WY border and into a new realm of discovery. Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – Wyoming”

Continental Divide Trail – Montana & Idaho

After hiking northbound on the Continental Divide Trail through New Mexico’s rugged and beautiful deserts, I was presented with a challenging choice. Colorado was the next state I was set to conquer, however it had seen a massive amount of late spring (i.e. not melted yet) snow. I could either continue north and push through the powder with extra effort, increased avalanche dangers, and possible reroutes/missed sections of trail or I could flip up to the Canadian border at Glacier National Park and head back south to where I had left off. Partially due to avalanche danger and partly due to the fact that I did not want to skip the gorgeous San Juans of CO, I made the choice to flip. Thus… I present the next state(s) in my Continental Divide Trail series: Montana and Idaho. Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – Montana & Idaho”

Continental Divide Trail – New Mexico

While hiking the Continental Divide Trail this last year, I produced a youtube series (Found here) from the trail, both shot and edited on my iPhone. While I did my best to edit and assemble the footage into a cohesive video, this is not the easiest task to be done solely on a phone. Though I am pleased with how the trail videos turned out, I couldn’t help but wonder what I could do with a little more time and editing power. Enter this new project. Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – New Mexico”

How to layer rain gear (Like a thru hiker)

If you’ve seen my video on layering your backpacking clothing like a thru hiker (Found here), you might remember that it was missing some very important essentials: rain gear. This weeks video picks up where the last one left off and delves head first into the world of rain gear… and what a world it can be, full of complex decisions, misconceptions, and prices that all leave you wondering if you should even bother hiking in the rain. Continue reading “How to layer rain gear (Like a thru hiker)”

How Much Does It Cost To Thru Hike – Ask A Thru Hiker

This series has been a long time coming. Almost daily, I get multiple questions from all sorts of hikers about different aspects of thru hiking, backpacking, planning a hike, how to do x, and so on. While answering these questions on a per case basis is helpful for the individuals asking the questions, it seems to me that making videos on some of the topics I’m frequently asked about would be a great benefit to future potential hikers, and to those that either aren’t asking questions or perhaps don’t know what questions to ask. Not to mention, it may help streamline my answering process and lead to faster answers or at least fewer questions on the same topics. This weeks “Ask A Thru Hiker” is going to answer the oft asked, “How much does it cost to thru hike?!” Continue reading “How Much Does It Cost To Thru Hike – Ask A Thru Hiker”