Explore the thermal wonders of Yellowstone National Park with me as I wander down the CDT. Geysers, steam, and dramatic colors made this one of the most unique sections of trail yet. Plus, a surprise snow storm adds a little spice to the trip.

Comments

Joe B.

Joe is a triple crown thru hiker that lives for anything outdoor adventure related. He loves delving into a complex DIY project, testing out the latest and greatest backpacking gear, rock climbing, hiking, and much more.

Contact

  • Ice Stalagmites found in an old mine Kinda crazy thathellip
    6 days ago by backcountrybanter Ice “Stalagmites” found in an old mine. Kinda crazy that they have flat tops though!
  • I stumbled across an old mining camp while exploring thehellip
    1 week ago by backcountrybanter I stumbled across an old mining camp while exploring the Colorado mountains yesterday... I found a lot of micah and quartz around the site. Any idea what they might have been mining for?
  • Well the blog is gonna be down for a dayhellip
    2 weeks ago by backcountrybanter Well the blog is gonna be down for a day or two as some improvements are being made. New fancy layout and way better features coming soon. In the mean time, here’s something I’ve been distracting myself with. Should this be the new header for the site? ;)  #strangerthings
  • I got a glimpse of the Smokies from 33867 onhellip
    3 weeks ago by backcountrybanter I got a glimpse of the Smokies from 33,867’ on yesterday’s flight home. It was amazingly clear (and cold!) They’ve already gotten a nice dusting of snow.
  • Ive had this print for a while Thanks Max! buthellip
    4 weeks ago by backcountrybanter I’ve had this print for a while (Thanks Max!) but have never had a chance to share it. It reminds me of the northern sections of the PCT. Artwork by:  @zepangborn
  • Im back in NC for a few days and gothellip
    4 weeks ago by backcountrybanter I’m back in NC for a few days and got a chance to do some kayaking. One thing I’ve really been missing in CO is tree diversity. It’s always the same three or four species of trees wherever you go. This photo probably contains more tree species than the entire state of Colorado!
  • Sometimes I come across lines in books that seem tohellip
    4 weeks ago by backcountrybanter Sometimes I come across lines in books that seem to strike chords with notes from my past experiences. This one really digs to the core of why I love thru hiking and backpacking. Taken from Jeff Vandermeer’s newest book “Borne”. (His books always do this to me...)
  • Two opinions of mine 1 Quilts are the absolute besthellip
    1 month ago by backcountrybanter Two opinions of mine: 1.) Quilts are the absolute best way to sleep while backpacking. 2.) Cottage companies are making better gear than the big names companies will ever be able to. I’m thrilled to announce that I’ve been given the chance to review a  @ugqoutdoor  Bandit top quilt. It just came in the mail, but I’ll be putting it through the wringer soon and eventually I’ll release a video review. Initial impressions: there is some serious skill in the crafting/design of this quilt, it’s super light, and boy is it purdy. Details coming soon...
  • AT  PCT  CDT  Hitchhiking  This posthellip
    1 month ago by backcountrybanter AT / PCT / CDT - Hitchhiking - This post isn’t as pretty as some of the others, but man do I have a lot of good memories tied to hitchhiking.
  • With fall rustling into existence aspens flaring their leaves andhellip
    2 months ago by backcountrybanter With fall rustling into existence, aspens flaring their leaves, and temperatures finally dropping a bit, all I can think about is  #campvibes

@BackcountryBanter