Full Granary Canyon – Moab, Utah – Canyoneering Trip Video

This past Memorial Day marked a new chapter for me in my continual exploration of nature. Thanks to some great friends, I was introduced to the world of Canyoneering and am happy to report that I’m hooked. Delving downwards through ever deepening, winding canyons, while getting to see the sheer power that water can have over time is like opening up a door to a whole new part of the natural world. Flowing red curves of canyon and steep drops where water once fell coexist with the beautiful desert flora I’ve come to love in my past hikes. Essentially, canyoneering is like combining hiking with rappelling (and maybe a little climbing should be thrown in there too.) Let’s explore: Granary Canyon. Continue reading “Full Granary Canyon – Moab, Utah – Canyoneering Trip Video”

Continental Divide Trail – Wyoming

Once again, it’s time for an edit from the Continental Divide Trail (CDT). This weeks video will focus on the unfathomably gorgeous state of Wyoming. After pushing my way south through Montana and Idaho (Seen in this post/video), I passed through a final “goodbye hail/snow storm” sent from Montana as a final parting gift for my travels. With snow on the ground and an icy sun rising in the distance I passed over the MT/WY border and into a new realm of discovery. Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – Wyoming”

How to make a stuff sack (Step by step) – DIY Gear Tips

Though I’ve done a few tutorials and videos on DIY gear in the past, I’d like to start doing more. With the price of gear creeping ever higher (I’m looking at you Dyneema), a lack of reliable and lightweight gear from large manufacturers, and the wait times we often find with the cottage companies we love, DIY is a great way to get the gear you want for much cheaper than retail. Let’s not forget about how incredibly fulfilling it is to be out in the woods alone, using gear that you have made to survive too! To kick off this new wave of DIY videos on my channel, I figured I’d start with one of the most simple projects around. A project that makes a great intro into the world of DIY (Do it yourself) and MYOG (Make your own gear): A stuff sack. But not just any ol’ stuff sack. A reinforced, cinching, quality stuff sack. Continue reading “How to make a stuff sack (Step by step) – DIY Gear Tips”

Why you should switch to a backpacking quilt – Ask A Thru Hiker

If you are unfamiliar with my “Ask a thru hiker” series, the basic premise is that I attempt to answer some of the more common questions I receive from various hikers and backpackers. This week I am focusing on one, very frequently mentioned topic. Quilts. Although there are a myriad of questions that most people have about backpacking quilts, today, I’m going start simple and explain some of the advantages that backpacking quilts have over the sleeping bags you’ve probably been using. We’ll get to the deeper questions in future posts, though if you do have questions, please leave them on the video. Continue reading “Why you should switch to a backpacking quilt – Ask A Thru Hiker”

Continental Divide Trail – Montana & Idaho

After hiking northbound on the Continental Divide Trail through New Mexico’s rugged and beautiful deserts, I was presented with a challenging choice. Colorado was the next state I was set to conquer, however it had seen a massive amount of late spring (i.e. not melted yet) snow. I could either continue north and push through the powder with extra effort, increased avalanche dangers, and possible reroutes/missed sections of trail or I could flip up to the Canadian border at Glacier National Park and head back south to where I had left off. Partially due to avalanche danger and partly due to the fact that I did not want to skip the gorgeous San Juans of CO, I made the choice to flip. Thus… I present the next state(s) in my Continental Divide Trail series: Montana and Idaho. Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – Montana & Idaho”

Continental Divide Trail – New Mexico

While hiking the Continental Divide Trail this last year, I produced a youtube series (Found here) from the trail, both shot and edited on my iPhone. While I did my best to edit and assemble the footage into a cohesive video, this is not the easiest task to be done solely on a phone. Though I am pleased with how the trail videos turned out, I couldn’t help but wonder what I could do with a little more time and editing power. Enter this new project. Continue reading “Continental Divide Trail – New Mexico”

How to layer rain gear (Like a thru hiker)

If you’ve seen my video on layering your backpacking clothing like a thru hiker (Found here), you might remember that it was missing some very important essentials: rain gear. This weeks video picks up where the last one left off and delves head first into the world of rain gear… and what a world it can be, full of complex decisions, misconceptions, and prices that all leave you wondering if you should even bother hiking in the rain. Continue reading “How to layer rain gear (Like a thru hiker)”

How Much Does It Cost To Thru Hike – Ask A Thru Hiker

This series has been a long time coming. Almost daily, I get multiple questions from all sorts of hikers about different aspects of thru hiking, backpacking, planning a hike, how to do x, and so on. While answering these questions on a per case basis is helpful for the individuals asking the questions, it seems to me that making videos on some of the topics I’m frequently asked about would be a great benefit to future potential hikers, and to those that either aren’t asking questions or perhaps don’t know what questions to ask. Not to mention, it may help streamline my answering process and lead to faster answers or at least fewer questions on the same topics. This weeks “Ask A Thru Hiker” is going to answer the oft asked, “How much does it cost to thru hike?!” Continue reading “How Much Does It Cost To Thru Hike – Ask A Thru Hiker”

Tenkara USA Sato Fly Rod Review

Despite having a love for fishing, for many years I considered it out of the question on backpacking trips. Even with the lightest fly fishing setup around, it was still just too weight prohibitive. I couldn’t afford to take a pound and a half of extra gear with me on most of my hikes, and thru hiking and fishing might have well have been mutually exclusive. This all changed this summer on the CDT. With the discovery of the Tenkara style of fishing, where rod weights are often under 3 ounces, I was entering a whole new realm of possibility. Continue reading “Tenkara USA Sato Fly Rod Review”

Gear Review: The Lightest Canister Stove in the World – BRS Titanium Stove

That’s right, at just 0.9 oz (25g) this stove is lightest one I’ve ever seen. And with a price tag hovering around $16 on Amazon, you have to wonder just how well this stove actually functions. Very rarely are the absolute lightest pieces of gear actually affordable. Could this unicorn be the solution to your heavy stove woes… or is it just another cheap knockoff stove like the many others that seem to be plaguing Amazon’s marketplace (and gear review sites for some reason). Find out in the video below!

Continue reading “Gear Review: The Lightest Canister Stove in the World – BRS Titanium Stove”

How to layer your backpacking clothing (Like a thru hiker)

When I was first learning to backpack, I found it hard to figure out exactly what I needed to wear when I took off on the trail. I went through all sorts of different iterations of clothing systems and types of clothing and spent far too much time and money trying to nail down a working system. But with practice comes experience and, after three thru hikes, I’ve settled on a simple, yet versatile system for layering my clothing. Check out the video after the break for more info, I’ll also post the links to the clothing I recommend beneath the video. Continue reading “How to layer your backpacking clothing (Like a thru hiker)”

Holiday gift ideas for the backpackers and hikers in your life.

Backpackers are notoriously hard people to shop for. Most of us know exactly what gear we need, and are pretty darn particular about what we’ll take with us into the backcountry. We tend to scoff at heavy or unnecessary gear and many of us share a tendency towards a minimalist lifestyle. Combined, these factors make backpackers and hikers some of the hardest people to find a gift for. What follows are some unique gift ideas for backpackers and hikers that are sure to please.  Continue reading “Holiday gift ideas for the backpackers and hikers in your life.”