While guides and maps may be essential reading during your thru hiking adventures, you’ll likely want a little more entertainment for your off trail reads. What follows is a list of some of my favorite thru-hiking related books.  And before you even ask, no, Wild will not be making an appearance here. Though there may be some controversy over pick number five.

Number 5:

A Walk In The Woods

51FH8CFR32L
Click Here For More Info

Sure, Bill Bryson may have questionable leave no trace ethics and his commitment to the trail is laughable, but the thing is the entire book is laughable and that’s what makes it great. With Bryson’s sharp wit and an incredibly entertaining writing style, this book is hard to put down.

Number 4:

Becoming Odyssa

51SJuPCsR+L
Click Here For More Info

Before she was setting speed records on the AT Jennifer Pharr Davis was just thru hiking like everyone else on trail. This book captures her at the beginnings of her hiking career. Lacking the expertise and skills she possesses now. What really makes the book stand out is that, unlike the majority of hiking books, it is written from a female perspective.

Number 3:

AWOL on the AT

41kBIKkpC4L
Click Here For More Info

Miller excels in meticulously describing trail life in this book. Though it can be a bit much at times, it is a perfect real-world introduction to thru hiking for the uninitiated. If you’re looking for your first thru-hiking introduction book, this is a good place to start. Bonus: his guide book is the absolute best AT guide available, get it!

Number 2:

Skywalker: Highs and Lows on the PCT

51OI8wjbmaL
Click Here For More Info

Skywalker has a collection of books available about his adventures on some of the worlds greatest long trails. Though I was tempted to include them all in this list, as they are all great,  I opted to instead stick with just one. Following this nearly seven foot tall man on his Pacific Crest Trail adventure is both entertaining and thrilling. His combination of humor and hiking makes this book a must read!

Number 1:

Just Passin’ Thru

51-7e7MNQVL
Click Here For More Info

Winton Porter does something in this book that perhaps no other thru hiking book has done sufficiently. By documenting the characters and hikers that have passed thru his small outfitter just north of Blood Mountain, Georgia, Porter gives readers a look into the odd but charming world of the trail community. You’ll see hikers old and new, trail legends, and some hilarious encounters between the hiking community and “common people”. After finishing this book, you’ll be left wanting more.

Have some picks of your own? I’d love to hear about some more hiking books to read! Leave some in the comments.

Comments

Joe B.

Joe is a triple crown thru hiker that lives for anything outdoor adventure related. He loves delving into a complex DIY project, testing out the latest and greatest backpacking gear, rock climbing, hiking, and much more.

Contact

  • Look out backpacking quilt market a new challenger approaches! Ivehellip
    3 days ago by backcountrybanter Look out backpacking quilt market... a new challenger approaches! I’ve been giving the Bandit top quilt by  @ugqoutdoor  some testing and decided to do an initial review video on it. I won’t spoil the review, but let’s just say I’m excited. Both for the quality of this quilt and for the price at which people will now be able to get a lightweight quilt. Woohoo! Check out the link below or click through to my Instagram account to find a clickable link.
  • This is officially the coolest cake Ive ever received! hammockcampinghellip
    2 weeks ago by backcountrybanter This is officially the coolest cake I’ve ever received!  #hammockcamping  Thanks  @theadventuresoffunk  and co. !!! I’m proud to call  @feralmountainco  home. (Also, sweeeet cake  @valhallacakes  )
  • I just posted a new 2017 thru hiker gift guidehellip
    3 weeks ago by backcountrybanter I just posted a new 2017 thru hiker gift guide to the website. Check it out for some great gift ideas for all of those stinky backpackers in your life. Also, check out the new website design! Click thru to my profile for a clickable link. http://backcountrybanter.com/backpacker-and-thru-hiker-gift-guide-2017/
  • Ice Stalagmites found in an old mine Kinda crazy thathellip
    4 weeks ago by backcountrybanter Ice “Stalagmites” found in an old mine. Kinda crazy that they have flat tops though!
  • I stumbled across an old mining camp while exploring thehellip
    1 month ago by backcountrybanter I stumbled across an old mining camp while exploring the Colorado mountains yesterday... I found a lot of micah and quartz around the site. Any idea what they might have been mining for?
  • Well the blog is gonna be down for a dayhellip
    1 month ago by backcountrybanter Well the blog is gonna be down for a day or two as some improvements are being made. New fancy layout and way better features coming soon. In the mean time, here’s something I’ve been distracting myself with. Should this be the new header for the site? ;)  #strangerthings
  • I got a glimpse of the Smokies from 33867 onhellip
    2 months ago by backcountrybanter I got a glimpse of the Smokies from 33,867’ on yesterday’s flight home. It was amazingly clear (and cold!) They’ve already gotten a nice dusting of snow.
  • Ive had this print for a while Thanks Max! buthellip
    2 months ago by backcountrybanter I’ve had this print for a while (Thanks Max!) but have never had a chance to share it. It reminds me of the northern sections of the PCT. Artwork by:  @zepangborn
  • Im back in NC for a few days and gothellip
    2 months ago by backcountrybanter I’m back in NC for a few days and got a chance to do some kayaking. One thing I’ve really been missing in CO is tree diversity. It’s always the same three or four species of trees wherever you go. This photo probably contains more tree species than the entire state of Colorado!
  • Sometimes I come across lines in books that seem tohellip
    2 months ago by backcountrybanter Sometimes I come across lines in books that seem to strike chords with notes from my past experiences. This one really digs to the core of why I love thru hiking and backpacking. Taken from Jeff Vandermeer’s newest book “Borne”. (His books always do this to me...)

@BackcountryBanter