DIYlive: Prototyping Backpack Straps

I’ve been working on a new series of videos called DIYlive. They are filmed live from my apartment, and feature me working on an assortment of DIY/MYOG projects in various stages of completeness. In these videos, you’ll get a more intimate glimpse into what it looks like to design gear, prototype it, assemble it, and much more. This video focuses on some rapid prototyping of backpack straps. Continue reading “DIYlive: Prototyping Backpack Straps”

How To Make An Ultralight Windscreen & Heat Reflector

When I am on a thru hike, I do my best to make every piece of my gear and my habits as efficient and effective as possible. When it comes to cooking, a small 100 gram fuel canister can last me upwards of a month on trail. How is this possible? Quite easily actually, I combine several techniques and pieces of gear that make my stove as efficient as it can be. Over the next few weeks, I’ll be spilling all of my thru-hiker stove efficiency secrets to you so stay tuned… Today, I’ll be showing you how to take the first step towards stove efficiency by making your very own DIY ultralight windscreen and heat reflector! Continue reading “How To Make An Ultralight Windscreen & Heat Reflector”

Page Update: Current Gear

It seems that these days, my backpacking gear is in a constant state of flux. Between testing gear for reviews and trying out my latest DIY projects, the contents of my backpack is often quite variable.  Up until yesterday my “Current Gear” page had been a reflection of my kit from a few years ago, not my current setup. But no longer! I’ve just updated the page with all of my latest gear. Check it out here: Current Gear. Moving forward, I think I’m going to keep a history of my past gear on this page as well, that way my revisions and upgrades in gear can be tracked as time passes.

Livestreaming?!

In light of some recent requests and in hopes of sharing more of the DIY process with viewers, I’m going to start live streaming some of my DIY builds, experimentation, and just general foolishness. Though this is very much a new thing for me, hopefully through trial and error we can figure out what works best for livestreaming and what you the viewer wants to see. I’ll do my best to announce my streams as far ahead of time as I can, but they’ll likely be pretty spontaneous to start. As of now, I’m using Facebook to live stream, however I may explore different channels in the future. Follow this link to my Facebook page and follow me to get a heads up of when I’m streaming. For starters, I’ll be streaming toninght (2/18) at 4:30 mst. Tune in and say hey!

Make your own DIY climbing board

Being less active outside throughout most of this winter has left me in serious need of some decent exercise and a way to keep in climbing shape. And while I would love to build a small wall in my apartment, I don’t think that would fly with the management, plus I’ll be out of here too soon to justify a full on wall anyways. Thus I am left with few great choices. Sure, I could go with a small board that mounts onto a doorframe “ironman gym”, but I want to have something more substantial, with plenty of climbing space, adaptability, and room to experiment with different holds. Enter the DIY doorframe climbing training board. Or, as it has become dubbed in my apartment, the “bathroom board.” What follows is a video and details on how to build your very own doorframe climbing board.  Continue reading “Make your own DIY climbing board”

How To Size & Buy A Backpacking Quilt – Guest Post on Massdrop.com

Once again, I’ve made a guest post over on Massdrop.com. This time I’m focusing on how to properly size and eventually buy a quilt for backpacking. One of the biggest questions I get now (especially after releasing this video on why you should switch to a quilt) is, “What size/type/brand/features should I look for in a quilt?” Well, hopefully this article will help to guide any of you that are struggling with buying a backpacking quilt and what to look for. I’m sure that I’ll eventually make this article into a video, but for now you can find it here on massdrop.com: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/1091/how-to-size-buy-a-backpacking-quilt

The Ultimate Ultralight Kitchen – Only 4 oz!

When I’m not on trail, my mind is… I often find it wondering why I’m not out hiking all day every day, coming up with ideas for new pieces of gear and DIY projects, and figuring out ways to improve upon my existing gear. This article/video stems from the latter and is the best system I could come up with for the weight/functionality. I present to you the Ultimate Ultralight Kitchen. Continue reading “The Ultimate Ultralight Kitchen – Only 4 oz!”

On umbrellas & rain skirts and why you should try hiking with them – Massdrop.com blog post

Recently I posted a guest-article on Massdrop.com’s ultralight talk forum. It focuses on using umbrellas and rain skirts on trail and the plethora of benefits that this system offers. Check out this link for the article and more details: https://www.massdrop.com/talk/965/on-umbrellas-and-rain-skirts-and-why-you-should-try-hiking-with-them

Long story short though… You should give hiking with an umbrella and rain skirt a try, it’s the bees knees!

The $20, 1lb. Ultralight Down Summer Quilt – A Gear Review/DIY Tutorial

Though I tend to be quite picky about the quality and reliability of the gear I take with me into the backcountry, there is a side of me that loves finding decent gear on the cheap. While it may be nice to have the latest and greatest gear when heading out into the woods, cheap gear is an unsung hero of the backpacking world. Whether you are starting off, or just can’t justify spending $400 on a new sleeping bag, cheap gear helps you get out there and enjoy the mountains, which is all that matters. Gear, while shiny and cool, is a means to an end… and in that light, cheap gear is a doorway to adventure. Continue reading “The $20, 1lb. Ultralight Down Summer Quilt – A Gear Review/DIY Tutorial”